Relocation Essentials

Moving can be daunting at any stage so it’s no surprise that many people find it difficult to get their footing when arriving in a country that has four official languages. With this in mind, we’ve gathered some useful information that we hope will make settling into Zug a step easier. As an English language platform dedicated to expats we know how important it is to land on your feet. If you do not find the information you are looking for, please contact us through our webform.


The Department of Economic Affairs has also edited an Expat Guide in English which contains detailed information about the canton. You can order a copy of the guide at:

Department of Economic Affairs
Canton of Zug
Economic Development

Aabachstrasse 5
6301 Zug
T: 041 728 55 04



First things first: residence permit upon arrival

Anyone who works during his or her stay or who remains in Switzerland for longer than three months requires a permit.  Residence permits are issued by the Cantonal Office for Migration.  A distinction is made between EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA citizens.

The various residence permits for foreigners:

  →  L permit (Short-term residents)
  →  B permit (Resident foreign nationals)
  →  C permit (Settled foreign nationals)
  →  G permit (Cross-border commuters)


You should register within 14 days of your arrival into Switzerland at the Amt fur Migration (Office for Migration, see address below), even if you are staying in a hotel. If you already have an employment contract, take the following documents with you:

EU Nationals:

  • Copy of passport
  • Two passport photos
  • Copy of civil status documents such as family book, marriage certificate, birth certificates
  • Copy of employment contract
  • Copy of rental agreement
  • Copy of school registration
  • Form A1 and form F1 if your family is moving with you - you can download the forms here
  • Health insurance certificate (showing you hold a policy with a Swiss health insurance company) - if you don't have an insurance by the time of your move you may deliver this document at a later stage.


Non EU nationals:

You will have received a document by your employer called "Zusicherung der Aufenthaltsbewilligung"

  • Copy of passport
  • Copy of rental agreement
  • Copy of school registration
  • Form A2 - you can download the form here
  • One passport photo for each member of the family

Note: Since January 2011 the authorities have introduced the biometrical identification for all non-EU residents. You will need to book an appointment to have your biometrical data taken (also for children) - please call +41 41 728 50 88

For further information, contact:

Amt für Migration
Aabachstrasse 1
6301 Zug

Tel. +41 41 728 50 50
Fax +41 41 728 50 59

Opening hours:

Monday                   08.30 - 11.45  and 14.00 - 18.00

Tuesday - Friday     08.30 - 11.45  and 14.00 - 17.00




Did you know your household belongings could be imported duty and tax-free into Switzerland? To qualify, furniture, personal effects, electronic appliances, etc. have to have been in your possession and for personal use for at least six months prior to your move here. Your belongings must be imported within a reasonable period of time after your change of residence to Switzerland.  Be sure to check the custom regulations here for more detailed information.


In general, if you are a resident in Switzerland, you are not allowed to use a foreign vehicle registered abroad in Switzerland. This also applies to vehicles which relatives or acquaintances from abroad allow you to use occasionally, for example. 

If you wish to import your car, you may drive it for up to one year with the license plates from your country of origin. Please note that you need to declare that vehicle for customs clearance spontaneously and without delay (principle of self-assessment) when you drive into Switzerland with the car. You will need to carry the custom papers with you in case you come into a police control.

If you do not import a car, but arrive with a driver’s license from another country, you also have up to one year to exchange it over for a Swiss license. Find more detailed information about owning and driving a car in Switzerland here or here.

Bringing a pet abroad is an important step for many families. Switzerland allows you to bring in pets and it is advised to make the necessary arrangements well in advance, with regard to vaccinations, identification and permits. Special conditions apply to dogs, cats, ferrets and birds (because these pets can be affected by rabies). Regulations will be different for those entering from the EU or a non-EU country. Please check the detailed information on the Swiss Federal Veterinary website.



In the past, many expats preferred to rent as opposed to buy during their stay in Switzerland. However there is now a growing trend in home ownership, due in part to the bilateral agreements with the EU on the free movement of workers and residents. Zug has a range of beautiful homes and apartments, with rental prices being above average, due to the low-tax benefits offered here.

Rental agreements are of a standard format and based on Swiss regulations. A typical rental agreement will stipulate the rental value, costs for heating, water and electricity, the lease start date, the termination conditions and the security deposit required.  By law, the landlord may ask for a security deposit equivalent to three months rent to be paid into a savings account at a bank. Normally, termination dates are only at the end of March, June and September, and it is customary for tenants to give three months notice.  If you find another person willing to take over the lease (a “Nachmieter), you may terminate your rental agreement prior to the termination date. A garage or parking space is normally separate from the rental price.

There are many good websites where you can look for properties to buy and rent. Also you will find the addresses of agents who will look for property on your behalf in our “Services Guide/Relocation & Real Estate” section.

Useful links for property searches:

Good to know:

Apartments in Switzerland usually come unfurnished as rentals, but a kitchen always comes fully equipped with electrical appliances built-in. It is also worth taking into consideration that most apartments do not include light fixtures, closets or window treatments. It is usually up to the renter to acquire these items.


Radio and Television Reception Fees
Every household in Switzerland is legally obliged to pay the radio and television fee. Your fee contributes to the public service offered by radio and television broadcasting in Switzerland. More info here.

Electricity in Switzerland is 220 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. You can use a voltage converter for your electrical appliances but most people decide to buy new equipment when moving here.This link will show you which plugs are used in Switzerland.

Good to know when renting:

The tenant has the right to move into a clean and functional apartment. The formal handover of the apartment takes place on the day you agreed with the landlord. The tenant and landlord inspect the condition of the apartment together and record any defects in writing on a protocol form. If you notice damages that were not visible when you signed the protocol, inform your landlord within two weeks. It is important that you do so in writing.


Minor repairs
The tenant is responsible for «minor repairs». These could include water taps, electrical switches and sockets, repairing or replacing broken door locks, etc. In most cases the costs for small improvements should not exceed a reference value of CHF 150 per repair. Revise your general terms and conditions of the rental contract for more detail. You will also be expected to carry out all repairs that fall under minor repairs before you move out of your apartment.


Reporting defects
It is important that you immediately report defects that you cannot remedy yourself. If you fail to do so, you may be held liable for the damage caused by not reporting the defect.


We recommend purchasing a private liability insurance that will cover certain damages.




In Switzerland taxes are levied at three different levels, as follows:


1.    Federal Level: direct federal tax levied on individual income. On the federal level, the Confederation of Switzerland has its own tax laws applicable to the whole of Switzerland and which therefore apply equally to all cantons.

2.    Cantonal Level: cantonal tax on income and net wealth of individuals.

3.    Municipal Level: municipal taxes as a surcharge on Zug’s basic cantonal tax.


Zug is well known for its low taxation levels and is often described as a tax haven.Depending on your residence permit and income, you will either be taxed at source or will pay normal income tax at the end of each year. To find out which one applies to you, consult your company’s HR department or contact the local tax authorities.
Tax Administration of the Canton Zug
Bahnhofstrasse 26
6301 Zug
Tel. + 41 41 728 26 11
Fax + 41 41 728 26 95

You can also consult the tax calculator
The standard VAT rate in Switzerland is 7.7%. There is a special rate of 3.8% for accommodation services. There is also a reduced 2.5% rate for: food, water, agricultural & medical products, newspapers, magazines, books and some cultural services.

Good to know:

Ways to reduce the tax burden and the advantages of being an expatriate

In addition to the permissible cantonal deductions, local residents can reduce their tax burden by paying extra contributions into their pension fund and the private provision for old age, the so called 3rd pillar of the Swiss social security system. They may achieve an optimization by restructuring their investment portfolio and planning their real estate investments or educational expenses. Sometimes it may help to move to another town or village. Retirement needs to be planned well in advance, too, because huge fiscal reductions are possible. Also important is the point in time when succession planning occurs and life insurances are purchased.

To remain an attractive financial location for international people, the Canton of Zug offers the following additional deductions for expatriates, provided the expenses are paid by the expatriate him-/herself:

1. Relocation expenses to Switzerland and back home: this means expenses incurred after the date of registration as a local resident.

2. Appropriate living expenses in Switzerland if the residence in the home country is still maintained. Rental income from the home residence while an expatriate is living in Switzerland is added to the overall income and is thus subject to taxation. Please check beforehand whether a ‘double taxation agreement’ exists between Switzerland and your home country, in order to avoid double taxation.

3. School expenses of minor children if the state school system cannot provide adequate education, e.g. where a child needs to be taught in a foreign language.

In addition to their salary, most expatriates receive allowances for housing, healthcare, cars and other personal expenses. The company should declare on the salary statement the purpose of an allowance in order to distinguish between deductible and other expenses. Companies with more than 10 employees are recommended to establish a ‘tax ruling’ with the tax authorities. This ruling defines a fixed amount, which approximately covers the effective expenses of the employee. The positive side effect is a lower administrative burden for the taxpayer. However, such ‘tax rulings’, are not accepted by all cantons, so that companies with affiliates in different cantons may establish different rulings in each canton.

The "Good to know" section has been provided by our advertising partner Ledergerber Treuhand - tax advisors.



Social Security/Pension System

The pension system in Switzerland is based on three pillars. The state pension covers the basic costs of living. Occupational pensions contribute towards maintaining the accustomed standard of living. Additional private pension plans support retirees’ individual needs. In addition to paying retirement benefits, the first two pillars also provide benefits in the event of disability or death. Like pillar 2, pillar 3 is also tax privileged. It offers various investment products and provides flexibility with respect to your personal investment preferences. Download the UBS brochure for more information here



Driving licence

You may only temporarily drive in Switzerland on your old driving licence. You must exchange it for the Swiss one within 12 month from your arrival date in Switzerland. Please note that you will need to hand in your old driving licence from your last residence country, it will be returned by the road traffic office to the issuing authority.

You can apply for the license at the

Hinterbergstrasse 41
6312 Steinhausen
Tel. +41 41 728 47 11
Fax +41 41 728 47 27


Opening times:

Monday - Friday
07:30 - 11:45
13:00 - 16:30


Good to know:

Driving around in Switzerland
One important fact to note in Switzerland is that drivers will normally always stop at every zebra crossing for a pedestrian. It is essential to be careful and pay attention, as many people often walk onto the zebra crossing with the expectation that cars will stop. Children (and some adults) will wave at you and make sure you have seen them as they cross. Driving is on the right-hand side, as in all of Europe.

Speed limits, alcohol limit
Standard speed limits are 50 kph in built-up areas, 80 kph on country roads and 120 kph on motorways. A special speed limit of 30 kph is being introduced in an increasing number of residential districts. The alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 o/oo.

Mobility, car sharing
Car sharing is the clever way to be mobile: whenever you want, without the commitment that owning a car entails. Mobility has 2,600 vehicles waiting for you at 1,300 stations throughout Switzerland. Around the clock and on a self-service basis. For more information visit the Mobility website here.




Private Schools 

Education and knowledge within Switzerland are highly regarded, allowing the country to claim to have one of the world's best education systems. The Canton of Zug is no exception and should you choose to go the private school route, there are numerous, reputable private and international schools. These schools offer bilingual classes and programs from preschool, kindergarten and primary school to the world recognized Primary Year Program (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), Advanced Placement (AP), American High School Diploma and the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBDP). While lving in this small and central location, Zug families can rest assured they have options when it comes to the education and future growth of their children.

You can find a list of International and Private schools in Zug in our Services Guide.

Local School System

Children and adolescents in the Canton of Zug have access to high-quality public schools. Attendance at public schools for the years of compulsory education (up to lower secondary level) is free of charge. In terms of student numbers, private schools play only a minor role. However, such private schools represent a valuable alternative and supplement the range of schools on offer.

Compulsory schooling in the Canton of Zug begins with a mandatory pre-school (kindergarten) year before a child reaches primary school age and lasts for 10 years in all. Primary school comprises six grades (six school years). At the end of primary school, on the threshold to lower secondary level (Sekundarstufe I), the educational path splits into different directions. Progression from primary to secondary level is effected by means of performance-based grouping, involving no admission or other exams, in a transition procedure called Übertritt I.

The lower secondary level is divided – with progressively higher intellectual demands on students – into Werkschule, Realschule and Sekundarschule, as well as Untergymnasium and Langzeitgymnasium, the latter two being geared to subsequent university studies. The end of the lower secondary years signifies the end of compulsory schooling. It is followed by upper secondary level (Sekundarstufe II).

At this stage, 70 % of the Canton of Zug’s youngsters opt for vocational education and training, which combines on-the-job training with school education (dual-track education system). Sekundarschule students have the possibility of continuing their education at an upper-secondary baccalaureate school (Kantonale Mittelschule). This progression is organised and executed in a further transition procedure (Übertritt II). No exams are involved in this procedure, either.

At the end of the upper secondary period, students either take up a profession or continue their education at tertiary level. All educational paths at upper secondary level — including vocational education and training — leave students with the option of a baccalaureate (Matura), provided they have sufficient academic talent and willingness to work hard at school. Graduating with a baccalaureate opens the door to university level education.

Please visit the Cantonal website for very detailed and updated information on the local school system.






Buying Property in Switzerland- a guide for foreigners

Swiss real estate market

Many people who come to live in Switzerland do so with the intention to rent while they are working here. Most often they have a package where the employer will provide a portion or all of the costs to rent an appropriate home. However, there are cases where expats plan to stay in Switzerland long term and even get localized into the economy, allowing for the possibility to buy their own home. There is a great deal of information to consider when purchasing in the Swiss real estate market. Fortunately, the professionals at UBS have created a brochure which goes into detail for foreign residents who want to buy while living here. You can download the brochure here.