Do you want to continue your education? In the age of digitalisation and agility, further development in new areas of competence is a decisive basis for a successful career as an entrepreneur, manager and expert, especially on the international stage! Get to know our practice-oriented technical school, where we specifically promote the knowledge and skills of future decision-makers.
We cooperate with many companies and institutions in the field of project management, adult education and leadership training. For this reason, we are constantly able to adapt our knowledge to the latest state of research in connection with market needs.
Our Excellence Modules are modern, sustainable, motivating and available in English.
Training is more than teaching theory
All our trainings are characterised by a varied mix of the applied forms of learning:
- Impulse teaching talks by the lecturer
- Concrete application examples from practice
- Individual and group work, which participants implement on the basis of their practical experience
- Feedback from the lecturer on the individual group work
In addition, other forms of learning can be used on request, e.g. e-learning, blended learning, in-depth on-the-job assignments.
Excellence Module Ladies Leadership
The rapid pace of our time, with which many people seem unable to cope any longer, shapes our lives to a great extent. Leadership skills are in demand at work, in society and in the family: the ability to organize and master complex everyday life; to make decisions at short notice, to think ahead so as not to be surprised, emotional intelligence paired with a rational approach. All these points are not “men’s business”, often it is exactly the women, the managers of our time, who have to assert themselves successfully in the area of conflict between family/job/ society.
- Leadership basics
- Thinking and acting with foresight
- Dealing with intuition
- Management psychology/ management principles
- Personality Models
- Mental training
The participants know modern, agile methods and techniques of leadership. Are able to apply the learned techniques – independent of the situation – in every situation in life.
Excellence Module Intercultural Competence
Intercultural competence is the ability to interact successfully and appropriately with individuals and groups from other cultures, in a narrower sense the ability to deal with people of different cultural orientations in a mutually satisfactory way.
- Intercultural basics
- How do cultures differ?
- Dimensions of national cultures
- Business cultures
- The participants know what a culture is.
- Participants know what motivates employees.
- The participants know the dimensions of the different cultures.
- Participants can apply concepts of team cooperation.
HR managers, works councils, specialists and managers who are involved in international or intercultural issues or work in this context.
Excellence Module Crisis and Conflict Management
Causes of crises and conflicts, managing existing conflicts, de-escalating, avoiding unnecessary con-flicts. Crisis management combines the areas of crisis prevention, crisis avoidance and crisis management, which are the tasks of the crisis manager depending on the phase.
- Systematic approach to prevention, avoidance and management of conflict and crisis situations
- Behavioural aspects, leadership principles and emotional aspects
- Internal and external conflict and crisis communication
The participants learn to deal with the control loop in conflicts and crises. The 5 points of the control loop are:
- Analysis/position finding
- Situation assessment
Executives, technical managers, interested persons who want to manage crisis and conflict situations professionally.
Excellence Module Agile Leadership
Professional qualifications now account for only 20% of a company’s success. The other 80% depend on the leadership qualities of the managers. Instead of interchangeable professional skills, it is above all the creativity, ideas and identification of the people involved that allow a company to grow and survive in the market in the long term. This applies to large corporations just as much as to medium-sized companies.
- Leadership basic knowledge
- Management styles and management principles
- Communication Basic knowledge
- Leadership in the agile world
- Dealing with resistance
- The participants know the requirements of an agile team and the self-organization that is required;
- know how to work together as a team to achieve success – solution-oriented and pragmatic.
Executives, skilled workers, agile decision makers.
Number of participants
Guaranteed implementation from 4 participants with certificate proof.
Full details available in German here.