Customs duty on household possessions


Your household belongings can be imported duty and tax free into Switzerland. To qualify for this, furniture, personal effects, electrical appliances etc. have to have been in your possession and for personal use for at least six months prior to your move here.  Your belongings must be imported within a reasonable period of time after your change of residence to Switzerland. You will find detailed information on custom regulations here


If you wish to import your car, you may drive it for up to one year with the license plates from your country of origin. You can find detailed information here


If you intend to relocate your pet,  you have to make some arrangements regarding identification (chipping), rabies vaccinations and pet ID. The regulations will be different weather you are moving from the EU or non EU country. Please consult the Federal Veterinary website.